عنوان مقاله [English]
In the current age, the strategic direction of companies ensures their performance in achieving the best results. In fact, this orientation contributes to the construction of fundamental principles in the operational activities, which may lead to better performance in the future by creating appropriate behaviors. In other words, this orientation may lead to better performance of the company in operations and its place in the market. In this research, we examine the effect of strategic orientation on growth of small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) with respect to the mediator role of brand performance and market performance. The statistical population of this study consists of small and medium-sized companies operating in University of Tehran science and Technology Park and 80 knowledge- based companies were chosen as a sample of research. To investigate the research model, structural equation test was used which concluded that strategic orientation of businesses had a significant effect on brand performance and their growth. Also, the tendency to entrepreneurship, innovation and market has a significant effect on the brand performance. Tendency to market, besides having an impact on the market performance of firms and the propensity to innovation, results in company growth. Finally, brand performance and market performance can cause growth in businesses.
1. Aaker, D. A. & Joachimsthaler, E. (2000). Brand Leadership. Free Press, New York, NY.
2. Abdulai Mahmoud, M., Blankson, Ch., Owusu-Frimpong, N., Nwankwo, S., Tran P. Trang (2016). "Market orientation, learning orientation and business performance: The mediating role of innovation". International Journal of Bank Marketing, 34(5), 623-648, https://doi.org/10.1108/IJBM-04-2015-0057.
3. Akhlagh Esmaeil, M. (2016). “Studying Influence of Market Orientation on Market Function of SMEs with Media-tion of Innovation Capabilities”. cs. 13(7), 57-74.
4. Andersén, J. & Samuelsson, J. (2016). "Resource organization and firm performance: How entrepreneurial orientation and management accounting influence the profitability of growing and non-growing SMEs". International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behavior & Research, 22(4), 466-484, https://doi.org/10.1108/IJEBR-11-2015-0250.
5. Anees-ur-Rehman, M., Saraniemi, S., Ulkuniemi, P., Hurmelinna-laukkanen, P. (2017). "The strategic hybrid orientation and brand performance of B2B SMEs". Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development, 24(3), 585-606, https://doi.org/10.1108/JSBED-11-2016-0171.
6. Asadzadeh, A. (2013). The role of market orientation on brand performance. Journal of Productivity Management, 6(24) (in Persian).
7. Baba, Y. (2015). "Does learning orientation matter for nonprofit organization performance? Empirical evidence from Ghana". Leadership & Organization Development Journal, 36(3), 234-252, https://doi.org/10.1108/LODJ-05-2013-0056.
8. Colin C. J. Cheng, Chen-lung Yang & Chwen Sheu (2014). The link between eco-innovation and business performance: a Taiwanese industry context. Journal of Cleaner Production, 64, 81-90.
9. Daniel I. Prajogo (2016). The strategic fit between innovation strategies and business environment in delivering business performance. International Journal of Production Economics, 171(2), 241-249.
10. Divandari, A., (2008).”Market Orientation and Business Performance in Iran. Journal of Business Management, 1(1) (in Persian).
11. Franzika, D. Florian, B. & Christian, S. (2016). Strategic orientations and performance. Journal of Business Research, 69, 849-861.
12. Gábor Nagy, Carol M. Megehee, Arch G. Woodside, Laukkanen, T., Hirvonen, S. & Reijonen, H. (2017). Achieving requisite variety in modeling firms' strategy heterogeneities: Explaining paradoxical firm-market performances. Industrial Marketing Management, 65, 100-128.
13. Gruber-Muecke, T. & Hofer, K. M. (2015). "Market orientation, entrepreneurial orientation and performance in emerging markets". International Journal of Emerging Markets, 10(3), 560-571, https://doi.org/10.1108/IJoEM-05-2013-0076.
14. Hendijani Fard, M. & Seyyed Amiri, N. (2018). "The effect of entrepreneurial marketing on halal food SMEs performance". Journal of Islamic Marketing, 9(3), 598-620, https://doi.org/10.1108/JIMA-12-2016-0097.
15. Hidesuke Takata, (2016). Effects of industry forces, market orientation, and marketing capabilities on business performance: An empirical analysis of Japanese manufacturers. Journal of Business Research, 69(12), 5611-5619.
16. Hofer, K. M. & Baba, A. (2018). Market Entry Strategies, Innovation and Performance of SMEs in the Service Sector, in Noémie Dominguez , Ulrike Mayrhofer (ed.) Key Success Factors of SME Internationalisation: A Cross-Country Perspective. International Business and Management, 34, Emerald Publishing Limited, 155-171.
17. Ignacio Tamayo-Torres, Leopoldo J. Gutiérrez-Gutiérrez, Francisco Javier Llorens-Montes, Francisco J. Martínez-López, (2016). "Organizational learning and innovation as sources of strategic fit". Industrial Management & Data Systems, 116(8), 1445-1467, https://doi.org/10.1108/IMDS-12-2015-0518.
18. James A. Wolff, Timothy L. Pett, J. Kirk Ring, (2015). "Small firm growth as a function of both learning orientation and entrepreneurial orientation: An empirical analysis". International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behavior & Research, 21(5), 709-730, https://doi.org/10.1108/IJEBR-12-2014-0221.
19. Jeffrey M. Campbell, Joohyung Park (2017). Extending the resource-based view: Effects of strategic orientation toward community on small business performance. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 34, 302-308.
20. Johanna Klewitz, Erik G. Hansen, (2014). Sustainability-oriented innovation of SMEs: a systematic review, Journal of Cleaner Production Volume 65, Pages 57-75.
32. Kajalo, S., Lindblom, A. (2015). "Market orientation, entrepreneurial orientation and business performance among small retailers". International Journal of Retail & Distribution Management, 43(7), 580-596, https://doi.org/10.1108/IJRDM-04-2014-0044.
21. Kantur, D. (2016). "Strategic entrepreneurship: mediating the entrepreneurial orientation-performance link". Management Decision, 54(1), 24-43, https://doi.org/10.1108/MD-11-2014-0660.
22. Keith, D., Brouthers, George Nakos, Pavlos Dimitratos (2014). SME Entrepreneurial Orientation, International Performance, and the Moderating Role of Strategic Alliances. Journal entrepreneurship rheory and practice, 39(5).
23. Kiessling, T., Isaksson, L. & Yasar, B. (2016). Market Orientation and CSR: Performance Implications. Journal of Business Ethics, 137(2), 269-284.
24. Lau, C. M. & Bruton, G. D. (2011). Strategic orientations and strategies of high technology ventures in two transition economies. Journal of World Business, 46(3), 371-380.
25. Laukkanen, T., Tuominen, S., Reijonen, H. & Hirvonen, S. (2016). Does market orientation pay off without brand orientation? A study of small business entrepreneurs. Journal of Marketing Management, 32(7-8).
26. Li, Y., Zhao, Y., Tan, J. & Liu, Y. (2008). “Moderating effects of entrepreneurial orientation on market orientation-performance linkage: evidence from Chinese small firms”. Journal of Small Business Management, 46(1), 113-133.
27. Norolahi S. (2013).”The Investigation of Marketing Competencies effect on Market performance”. Second National Congregation of Modern Management, Gorgan (in Persian).
28. Luxton, S., Reid, M. & Felix Mavondo, F. (2017). "IMC capability: antecedents and implications for brand performance". European Journal of Marketing, 51(3), 421-444, https://doi.org/10.1108/EJM-08-2015-0583.
29. Odoom, R. & Mensah, P. (2018). "Brand orientation and brand performance in SMEs: The moderating effects of social media and innovation capabilities". Management Research Review, https://doi.org/10.1108/MRR-12-2017-0441.
30. Reijonen, H., Párdányi, S., Tuominen, S., Laukkanen, T., Komppula, R. (2014). "Are growth-oriented SMEs more likely to adopt market and brand orientations?". Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development, 21(2), 250-264, https://doi.org/10.1108/JSBED-10-2013-0152.
31. Rezaei Dolatabadi, H. (2006).”A model for determination of Market Orientation effect on Business Performance”. Journal of Modarres, 10(1) (in Persian).
32. Robert, M. & Carlyn, S. (2003). Business performance and dimensions of strategic orientation. Journal of Business Research, 56, 163-176.
33. Shirokova, G., Bogatyreva, K., Beliaeva, T. & Puffer, Sh. (2016). "Entrepreneurial orientation and firm performance in different environmental settings: Contingency and configurational approaches". Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development, 23(3), 703-727, https://doi.org/10.1108/JSBED-09-2015-0132.
34. Tadajewski, M. & Jones, D. G. B. (2016). Hyper-power, the marketing concept and consumer as 'boss'. Marketing Theory, 16(4).
35. Tommi, L., Gabor, N., Saku, H. & Mika, P. (2013). The effect of Strategic Orientationson business performance in SMEs. Journal of International Marketing Review, 30(6), 510-536.
36. Xinming He, Keith D. Brouthers, Igor Filatotchev (2018). "Market orientation and export performance: the moderation of channel and institutional distance". International Marketing Review, 35(2), 258-279, https://doi.org/10.1108/IMR-09-2015-0194.
37. Xiong, L. & King, C. (2018). Too much of a good thing? Examining how proactive personality affects employee brand performance under formal and informal organizational support. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 68, 12-22.
38. Yuliya Snihur, (2018). "Responding to business model innovation: organizational unlearning and firm failure". The Learning Organization, 25(3), 190-198, https://doi.org/10.1108/TLO-03-2017-0032.
39. Zarantonello, L., Formisano, M. & Grappi, S. (2016). "The relationship between brand love and actual brand performance: Evidence from an international study". International Marketing Review, 33(6), 806-824, https://doi.org/10.1108/IMR-11-2015-0238.